The recent withdrawal of 11,566 police orderlies from VIPs across Nigeria has triggered a wave of reactions, with many prominent Nigerians now turning to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for protection. The directive, issued by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, aims to redirect scarce security manpower to combat rising nationwide threats such as kidnapping, banditry and violent crime. www.cjsoftflix.com reports that this new policy is one of the government’s biggest security reforms so far.
Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun, while addressing journalists in Abuja, clarified that the withdrawal is neither punitive nor political. He explained that the reallocation is necessary to strengthen community policing across regions hit by crime, especially in Kwara, Kebbi, Niger and other northern states plagued by recent abductions.
The IGP announced, “In line with the President’s directive, we have withdrawn a total of 11,566 personnel from VIP protection. These officers are being redeployed to critical policing duties immediately.” He stressed that proper monitoring will be enforced to prevent criminals from impersonating law-enforcement officers. “The withdrawal is not a retreat from responsibility, but a reclamation of it,” he added.
He cited recent successful operations, where the police arrested 451 armed robbery suspects, 356 kidnappers, 534 murder suspects, 129 culpable homicide suspects, 173 suspects for unlawful firearm possession, 312 rape suspects and 282 cultists. Despite this, insiders told www.cjsoftflix.com that many officers had quietly resumed VIP duties, suggesting partial compliance with the directive.
One police source noted, “Those on VIPs’ duties are returning. I saw some of them today. In my office, two of them are back. This time around I think the directive will be effective with what I have seen on the ground.” Another officer confirmed gradual reassignment back to old roles.
Findings by www.cjsoftflix.com revealed that several high-profile Nigerians—such as former SDP presidential candidate Prince Adewole Adebayo and suspended PDP National Secretary Samuel Anyanwu—were among those affected by the sudden withdrawal of their police escorts.
During a Thursday morning meeting in Abuja’s Central Business District, Prince Adebayo was spotted guarded by NSCDC officers and private security operatives. Efforts to reach him for comments were unsuccessful. Meanwhile, Samuel Anyanwu confirmed his police orderlies had been withdrawn and disclosed that he had already applied to the NSCDC for security personnel.
“I support their withdrawal. Nigeria lacks sufficient police manpower, and VIPs have misused the privilege for too long,” Anyanwu said. However, he urged the government to prioritize certain categories of VIPs, particularly national officers and elder statesmen. He added that he preferred NSCDC officers because they are well-trained.
Dr. Ijeoma Arodiogbu, APC Vice Chairman (South-East), warned that completely stripping VIPs of security aides may lead to severe consequences. He argued that politicians and other high-profile individuals remain prime targets for attacks, saying, “It could be another level of insecurity if VIPs are left unprotected.”
Arodiogbu supported prioritizing security escorts for individuals genuinely at risk, not for wealthy traders “moving around with 10 police details.” He also commended President Tinubu for pushing for more recruitment into the police and military.
PDP Deputy National Youth Leader, Tim Osadolor, took a different stance, saying Nigerians should embrace a future where even VIPs move without escorts. He urged leaders to follow examples from Amsterdam and Denmark, where top government officials often move without heavy security.
Senator Ali Ndume also backed the move, describing it as one of President Tinubu’s most commendable decisions. Speaking on Channels Television’s Politics Today, he revealed that he rejected three police orderlies assigned to him, insisting he only needs one officer for accountability, not for personal protection.
Ndume criticised ministers who maintain police details for their wives and children, calling it an unnecessary drain on national security resources.
Some lawmakers argued that the policy is unrealistic because VIPs remain prime targets of political and criminal attacks. Majority Leader of the House, Prof Julius Ihonvbere, told www.cjsoftflix.com the government must define who qualifies as a VIP. He explained that while he does not see himself as a VIP, he cannot travel to his constituency without police escort due to dangerous highways.
Ihonvbere condemned the abuse of police escorts, recounting instances where wealthy private citizens moved around with six police guards, insisting this must be addressed.
Edo lawmaker Billy Osawaru confirmed he is now without security, saying, “Yes, and I’m on my own.”
Senator Francis Fadahunsi called on the federal government to legalise responsible firearm ownership, arguing that about 120 countries already allow citizens to carry arms. He stated that arming responsible Nigerians would help counter kidnappers and other criminals.
He also urged the National Assembly to impose the death penalty on kidnappers and those who negotiate ransom payments. Fadahunsi criticized Nigeria’s military architecture, calling for a total overhaul of the defence leadership.
Following Wednesday’s heated debate, the Senate introduced a bill sponsored by Senate Leader Opeyemi Bamidele to classify all forms of kidnapping as terrorism, carrying a mandatory death sentence.
Senate President Godswill Akpabio insisted that the punishment must be immediate and non-negotiable once the offence is proven, saying, “There is no discretion.”
The Association of Licensed Private Security Practitioners of Nigeria (ALPSPN) described the withdrawal of police escorts as a wake-up call to modernise the 38-year-old Private Guard Companies Act. The association said the current law is obsolete and does not reflect modern security realities.
Maj. Gen. Elvis Njoku (retd.), ALPSPN chairman, said reforms must include data protection, technological surveillance tools, and environmental security. He praised President Tinubu’s security reforms and urged all stakeholders to unite behind the push for legislative modernization.
Njoku emphasized that the private security industry has grown significantly, providing essential services such as corporate security, VIP protection, event safety, and community surveillance across Nigeria.